Accelerating her opportunity

Posted on Oct 21, 2014

ChanelMiller_2Chanel Miller has returned to school after many years away, and has found that through RVC’s ICAPS/AO (Integrated Career and Academic Preparation System/Accelerating Opportunities) program she is thriving–ready to enter the workforce, and continue her education.

Level of Education Completed Before GED studies:

10th grade—both at traditional and alternative high school

Chanel entered Rock Valley College’s Bridge to Manufacturing in Spring 2014 and ICAPS/AO in Fall 2014.

What were some things you learned in Bridge to Manufacturing?

The best things I learned in Bridge to Manufacturing were some basic computer skills as well as being able to complete practice tests for the GED. We also learned how to read blueprints, which is really helping me with the CAD class I’m currently taking.

What made you interested in the ICAPS/Accelerating Opportunity program?

I heard about the program in Bridge to Manufacturing, but what really made me want to sign up was when we took a field trip to RVC’s manufacturing building. Tom Clark (MET chair) gave us a tour and showed us the machines so we could see how they worked.

What have you learned so far in your AO classes?

So much! In MET 100 I’m learning the software and how to use the computer. In metrology, I’m learning the machines and their parts, as well as how to clean, maintain, and fix them. I’m also learning a lot of time management skills.

What are some of the challenges of the program and how have you worked through them?

The biggest challenge is to complete all the homework and balance it with my home life. My life doesn’t end here at school. I’ve got to go home and get my son ready for football, clean, cook dinner, and get some sleep, too, so I’ll be ready for those pop quizzes!

What is the best part about AO for you?

The best part is that I don’t have to wait to get my GED. I can work on that goal at the same time I’m getting skills for a better job. I also like that there are teachers who are available to help with both the classes and the GED.

What’s it like being the only woman in the program?

I grew up with brothers—it doesn’t bother me!

What are your future plans?

After I graduate in the spring, I plan to find work doing what I’ve learned. I also plan to continue in school and get my Associate’s degree in CNC.

What advice do you have for others who might be considering ICAPS/AO?

Make sure you’re serious. This is not easy; there’s a lot to take in, and you need to be motivated. I would definitely recommend this program—you don’t have to put your life on hold any more.

For more information on ICAPS, GED, ESL or any of RVC’s other Adult Education offerings, visit RockValleyCollege.edu/AdultEd or call (815) 921-2000.

Batman v Superman
RVC Grad Goes Hollywood

Over the years, many graduates of Rock Valley College’s Mass Communication program have gone on to do exciting things in...