RVC Grad Goes Hollywood

Posted on Oct 17, 2014

Over the years, many graduates of Rock Valley College’s Mass Communication program have gone on to do exciting things in the worlds of television, film, and radio. We caught up with a recent graduate of the program, Brady Endres, who has been putting some of the skills he learned at RVC to work as an Assistant Digital Asset Manager for one of Hollywood’s most hotly anticipated films of 2016: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Can you start by telling us what you do as an Assistant Digital Asset Manager?

I, along with my boss, setup and maintain the servers that store all the film’s digital assets. All deliveries sent digitally between departments, producers, venders or the studio pass through our department to be sure that they are being sent via the proper server pipeline and all security measures are being taken. We also help with the delivery of Visual Effect vender submissions and make sure they are properly tagged and stored. And we lastly, much less enthusiastically, provide general tech support to the film crew and sometimes even WB studio executives.

Brady Endres at the premiere of "Man of Steel."

Brady Endres at the premiere of “Man of Steel.”

What are some of the films, TV shows, or other projects you have worked on?

My first film was Man of Steel. Since then I’ve also worked on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, 300: Rise of an Empire, Jupiter Ascending, and now Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Do you have any stories or anecdotes about famous people you’ve met since you started your current job?

While on Man of Steel I had to bring something to Amy Adams’ house. I was disappointed when I was met at the door by her assistant and left without meeting her. The next day she was in the office talking to a group of people when I walked in. She turned and noticed me then left the group, walked right over to me and held out her hand. She introduced herself with “Oh you must be Brady! I’m Amy!”

I’d like to think I did a good job of keeping my composure. I still don’t know who told her to do that.

How did you get into this line of work after leaving Rock Valley College?

I was homeschooled my entire life other than 9th grade when I attended Keith Country Day school. We had a connection through the homeschooling community to one of the assistant editors on Man of Steel. They were looking for Editorial Production Assistants in Chicago and weren’t finding any applicants they liked, so his wife contacted my mom and asked if I’d like to interview for the job. I did and started the job two days later. After they were done shooting in Chicago they told me that if I was willing to move to Los Angeles they would like to keep me on the film through post-production. So I moved out there and have been working non-stop since.

How well do you believe Rock Valley College prepared you for your current career?

I started taking RVC Mass Communications classes at 16 and was finishing up the certification requirements right as I got the job on Man of Steel. I dedicated those two years to filmmaking and the RVC courses and now I’m completely immersed into the industry. We spend so many hours of our life at work on these movies and a lot of the students do the same [in RVC’s Mass Com department]. I think it’s a good indicator of who would actually be able to succeed based on how they treat the courses [at RVC]. I had a very good base knowledge that definitely has helped me keep up with the fast pace they keep here. My bosses were thrilled I knew Avid Media Composer already coming onto the job, and I was therefore given responsibilities I wouldn’t normally have had in my position.

What job would you ultimately like to be doing in your field 5-10 years from now?

I am hoping to direct one day.   I try to work on my own projects during my free time. I would also like to use my knowledge and connections to produce other people’s films.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is scheduled for release in March 2016.

For more information on RVC’s Mass Communication program go to rockvalleycollege.edu/masscom.

Chemistry
RVC to host lecture “Hey, there are cockroaches in my chocolate ice cream!” Oct 27

Internationally renowned chemist Dr. Joe Schwarcz will present the lecture "Hey, there are cockroaches in my chocolate ice cream" at...