Ehren Jarrett’s educational journey started at RVC

Posted on Nov 12, 2014

Rockford Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Ehren Jarrett got his start at Rock Valley College.  Ehren played basketball at RVC and was named an NJCAA Academic All-American in 1993-1994.  He credits his time at RVC with equipping him with the skills he used to go on to earn a bachelor’s and master’s degree and his doctorate.

RVC served as a launching pad for my post-secondary academic life. The need for time management to balance a rigorous course load and the demands of being a student-athlete further prepared me for future academic challenges at both the undergraduate and graduate level.

Ehren JarrettHometown

Rockford, IL

Currently Resides

Rockford, IL

Years at RVC

1993-1994

Further Education

Bachelors in Secondary Education with a major in English and history: Concordia University-Chicago
Masters in Educational Leadership: NIU
Doctorate in Educational Leadership: NIU

What is your favorite memory of Rock Valley College?

During the 1993-94 basketball season our RVC men’s basketball team defeated the national champions, Joliet Community College, after losing by more than 30 points in an earlier match-up. Despite being considerably overmatched by a Joliet team that had four starters who went on to play Division I basketball, we played our best game of the year and pulled off an improbable upset.

Who was your favorite instructor or staff member during your time at RVC?

Carl Armato, my college basketball coach, was my favorite instructor. Coach Armato reinforced the importance of hard work and discipline. I learned many important lessons about life on the basketball court at RVC under Coach Armato’s leadership.

What impact did RVC have on you?

What impact has RVC had on your career?

From my early years as a teacher/coach to my time as a high school principal to my current position as superintendent of schools, I am regularly expected to effectively communicate complex messages to a diverse group of audiences and stakeholders. I had wonderful experiences with English and Communications courses at RVC. I also had the opportunity to write for the Valley Forge, the RVC Student newspaper.

What do you miss most about RVC?

I had a number of very positive relationships with classmates, teammates, faculty, and staff. I truly miss the opportunity to regularly interact with such a wonderful group of people.

You can follow Dr. Ehren Jarrett on Twitter at twitter.com/rps205super.

Do you have an RVC alum you’d like to see featured on the blog?  E-mail us to tell us about it.

renewable energy
A million readers can’t be wrong

Dr. Tom Lombardo, RVC Professor of Engineering and Technology, writes about sustainable energy for the ENGINEERING.com website and maintains the...