Morgan Kolkmeyer’s love of math started at RVC

Posted on Nov 4, 2014

Morgan KolkmeyerMorgan Kolkmeyer is the morning and midday meteorologist on Rockford’s NBC affiliate, WREX-TV channel 13.  Morgan started her college education at RVC and worked as a meteorologist in both Milwaukee and Duluth, Minn. before returning to her hometown.

Hometown

Rockford, IL

Currently reside

Rockford, IL

What years did you study at RVC?

2009-10 and 2010-11

Further education

Graduated from Northern Illinois University with Bachelor of Science in Meteorology and minor in applied mathematics

What is your favorite memory of Rock Valley College?

I enjoyed being able to find a quiet corner in the library to do some studying in the winter, while being able to sit in a beautiful outdoor spot when it was nice out.

Who was your favorite instructor or staff member during your time at RVC?

This is a hard question to answer, it’s tough to narrow this down to just one.

The Mathematics Department at RVC is absolutely phenomenal. There are two that stick out in my mind. Diane Koenig was my professor for Calculus 1 and she was a fantastic teacher. She cared individually about each student understanding a challenging subject, and that was very clear. You could ask any question and not feel inferior or “silly” whether it was during class or in office hours. She is the teacher who helped me realize how much I loved math and calculus.

I took Calculus 2 with Paul McCombs over the summer. I remember him telling us at the start of the class we were not allowed calculators on any exams. I wasn’t that worried, until that first exam came up. I couldn’t believe how many little things I had forgotten over the years of math due to using a calculator (such as fractional exponents). I learned more than just Calculus 2 in that course, I re-learned basic math that had been hindered from calculators for 18 years. I’m very thankful for both of these excellent professors.

I went on to NIU to earn my minor in applied mathematics and was overly prepared to take the higher level courses thanks to the RVC Math Department.

What impact has RVC has had on you?

I often kid around with friends that “Calculus changed my life.” (Haha) While that is somewhat of a joke, it really did have a huge impact on me. At Rock Valley College, I discovered my love for mathematics and it turned me into a different type of student. I went from someone who worked hard but occasionally procrastinated, to the student that sits on the floor outside of the classrooms working on equations and actually enjoying what I was doing.

I don’t know if I would’ve discovered the passion I have for math if it weren’t for the RVC Math Department and staff.

What impact has RVC has had on your career?

Rock Valley College set me up with the tools I needed to make it through my courses at Northern Illinois University. I recently told my family taking the opportunity to attend RVC before heading to a four-year university was the best choice I could have made. Not only did it prepare me educationally for further schooling, but I was able to stay local in my hometown.

What do you miss the most about RVC?

The cost of classes! QUALITY education offered at an affordable cost. You can’t beat that!

You can follow Morgan on Twitter at twitter.com/morgkolkmeyer and WREX’s Weather Authority account at twitter.com/13wxauthority

Do you have an RVC alum you’d like to see featured on the blog?  E-mail us to tell us about it.

AVM
Aviation jobs are in high demand

With the recent announcement that internationally-renowned maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) corporation AAR would be building a large facility at...