My Story: Greg King

Posted on Jun 3, 2016

When I started at rock Valley College in the summer of 2013, I was returning to school after 20 years and I had doubts regarding my abilities. However, I adapted back into the classroom setting quite well and there were a couple of defining moments that still stand out.

The first was during my second year of attendance when I received a letter informing me that I met the requirements to be inducted into Phi Theta Kappa. This meant a lot to me because I still remember the feeling that I had on the day I was inducted into Omicron Eta. The second was when I was selected as a recipient of the RVC Foundation scholarship for the 2015/16 school year. This was one of the first times that I felt that someone believed in me and this opened my eyes to the fact that I needed to give something back and get involved.

Greg-King-Foundation-Testimonial

Shortly afterwards, I stood for Public Relations Officer for Omicron Eta, the Rock Valley College chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, and volunteered all of the time that I could while still maintaining a high level of academic achievement. I believe that I built a solid foundation for my education at RVC and I completed my A.A.S. in Computers and Information Systems with honors. I will use this foundation to further my education at Illinois State University as a Computer Science major.

Thank you to all of the faculty at RVC that were a part of this process. I will take something with me from all of you. I would also like to thank the RVC Foundation and all of the donors who make the scholarships possible.

Has Rock Valley College touched YOUR life in some way? We want to hear about it. We would love for your story to be shared with others on our blog, website, and social media.

Perhaps RVC turned your life around or led to a new and exciting career. Maybe it introduced you to new concepts, new ways of thinking, or maybe even to new friends you will now have for life. It doesn’t even have to be your story. Did RVC change the life of your son, daughter, mother, sister, cousin? Tell us about it.

Share your Rock Valley College story with us.
Heavy Metal

The wildly popular Rockford rock band, Miles Nielsen and the Rusted Hearts, premiered their new video for the song "Heavy...