Get to Know Me: Brittany Freiberg

Posted on Jan 30, 2017

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Brittany Freiberg.

Title: Director of Development

Department: Foundation

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

As the Director of Development, I work to engage and retain new and loyal donors, write and generate mail appeals that share why supporting RVC is important and impactful, and create and implement events that bring our donors, alumni and community leaders to campus and face to face with the students and programs they can support.

What inspires you?

My family, my faith, and my desire to make a difference in my community.

What do you like to do for fun?

Spend time with my family, explore different, unique restaurants (and, honestly, just to eat in general), collect and refurbish vintage items from local vintage shops and flea markets, travel and have impromptu living room dance parties with my two year old son, Nash. He still thinks I have moves.

What was your very first job?

Aside from babysitting, my first official job was as a skate guard for the Riverview Ice House at the age of 15.

Who are your role models?

I’ve always looked up to my parents for their strong work ethic, volunteer hearts and for over-loving and over-valuing me and my brother throughout our entire lives. My figure skating coach from age 6 to 18 was also a huge guiding force in my life. She pushed me beyond my mental physical limits every day and taught me so much about my own strength.

If you are a part of any local or national clubs or boards, please share those details.

I’ve served within Transform Rockford for over two years and counting, I’m the secretary of Rockford’s Association of Fundraising Professionals, a member of Next Rockford, my husband and I host a married couple’s church group once a week in our home and I’m the president of the Exhausted Mother’s of the Terrible Twos Club (not really, but if anyone would like to start that club, I’m all in!).

Where is your favorite place to go at RVC?

Aside from loving the energy of the Student Center, my new favorite place is the WTC. It’s incredible to see how bright, innovative and welcoming the new space is and I love to see our donors’ names throughout the building!

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

“Do for one what you wish you could do for all.”

What is the best advice you have ever received?

“Get up. Try it again.” I heard that from my figure skating coach every day and it’s applicable everywhere.

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Winter Storms by Elin Hilderbrand. I’m a sucker for a good love story.

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Collateral Beauty. It’s an incredible story with an incredible cast.

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

Netflix’s Bloodline and Law & Order SVU (I’m convinced I’ve missed my calling as a detective)

Who is your favorite musician, group or band?

I have very eclectic taste but some of my favorites are Travis Tritt, David Nail, Hillsong United, 3 Doors Down, REO Speedwagon, and Lionel Richie who I will see live for the first time in March! Our front door mat at home has Lionel’s face on it, if that tells you anything about my love for him.

What is your favorite thing to eat?

Donuts are my weakness. Sprinkle donuts may be my one true love (apologies to my husband and son).

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Anywhere with water! I fly to Charleston, SC, 3-4 times a year to see friends and the beach, but my heart belongs to any place that has sand and waves. Once I’m near a beach, I also enjoy consuming as much fresh seafood as I can.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

Two bits of trivia about me are that I’ve been skydiving and that I’ve been to Nicaragua four times on medical mission trips, spending most of my clinic days there dispensing medications and writing prescriptions in Spanish. If you ever want to be stretched outside of your comfort zone (and I mean STRETCHED), serve on a trip to a country in need. It’ll change your life!

Finish this sentence: “There is no limit to…”

how many pieces of vintage and antique furniture I can fit in my garage for future DIY projects. My husband, on the other hand, will tell you that I have reached my limit.

What has been your biggest personal challenge?

Motherhood. Being Nash’s mom has stretched me in ways I never knew possible in terms of juggling a work and home life balance, providing for someone and loving someone without hesitation or expectation. It’s so true that as a parent, a piece of your heart lives outside of your body. Oh, and the terrible twos challenge me daily. Those are no joke!

If I ever look exhausted on campus it’s because I probably just spent 45 minutes negotiating with someone to eat one piece of toast. One piece.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

Honestly, I’m not sure but I’m ready and hopeful! 2016 brought many challenges to our little family, so I’m ready to see how our journey unfolds in 2017.

Brittany Freiberg

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

Get to Know Me: Debbie Alfredson

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Debbie Alfredson.