Get to Know Me: Julie Boggie

Posted on Jan 9, 2017

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Julie Boggie.

Name: Julie Boggie

Title: Lead Telecommunicator

Department: RVC Police Department

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I have been with the college since 1997, and with the PD since 1999.

The TCs are all trained in Law Enforcement Dispatch, Emergency Medical Dispatch (including First Aid/CPR/AED), Active Shooter Response, and NIMS/Emergency Preparedness. We work hard to help our community whether the call is for a vehicle assist or for a more critical incident. In addition to TC duties, I act as the Agency Coordinator for multiple systems, perform audits, and file reports for state and federal mandate compliance. I assist with campus security by processing IDs and programming building access and alarms. I also perform a number of other clerical related tasks. Oh, and other duties, as assigned!

What inspires you?

This will be one of my (very few) serious answers. My answer is – doing what I can to help others. We all aren’t able to give in the same ways, but as you will see later, I am a DJ, and that gives me the chance to volunteer some of my services and entertain at a number of events, in support of some wonderful causes. Among my favorites are Habitat for Humanity, American Cancer Society, ALS Association, and Rockford Area Mobility Project (RAMP). I have also volunteered at private fundraisers for children and families in need as well as for museums, scholarships, senior functions, and other community gatherings. It is a wonderful feeling, and I am blessed to be able to do something I love while helping others.

What do you like to do for fun?

Oh, just anything at all with my family. We spent an hour in an escape room over Christmas break where we saved the world by containing a deadly outbreak. You’re welcome. A week before that, my son and I sat in a tire store for four hours. While they were not equally as fun, I always enjoy any time I can spend with my kids, their significant others, and my grandchildren – no matter what we are doing. I also like to cook and bake, read (goodreads 2017 goal set!), watch a good movie or quirky documentary, and once a month I get together with a group of crazy ladies for a lively night of Bunco fun. Don’t be jelly.

What was your very first job?

I started working when I was 14, so that was about 20 years ago…possibly 40, but who keeps track? I worked at the Open Hearth Restaurant on West State Street. It’s been gone for years, but I’m still standing!

Who are your role models?

My kids. I want to be just like them when I grow up.

If you are a part of any local or national clubs or boards, please share those details.

As many of you may recall from our stunning presentation at one of our fall conferences, I am a Notary.

Where is your favorite place to go at RVC?

My desk. Really. It’s quite nice. I have pictures of my family, a tea pot and cookies, and a salt lamp. Come see me. It’s where the magic happens.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

Life’s short… eat dessert first.

What is the best advice you have ever received?

Life’s short… eat dessert first.

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

My daughter bought me “Talking As Fast As I Can” (Lauren Graham) for Christmas. She might see this, so I’m gonna go with that. (Actually, it really is a fun read!)

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

I liked “Bridget Jones’s Baby” quite a bit, and on the other end of the spectrum, “Rogue One” was really good too.

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

I am a huge fan of Coronation Street, and I love it when I log onto ITV and find that I have several in queue to watch.

Who is your favorite musician, group or band?

I get to hear a lot of great music, across the decades, but my personal fall back would be 70s music – Tom Petty, Boston, Bad Company, Eagles, Heart, Steve Miller Band, Bob Seger, Steely Dan, Rush, Rolling Stones, Supertramp… you get the idea!

What is your favorite thing to eat?

You spelled “things” wrong. 🙂

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Well, a quick hop over the pond to London wouldn’t go amiss, but I usually just use every extra minute of it to be with my grandchildren. (Hi, Penny & Finn – Mimi loves you!)

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I am a DJ. Honest! I began my career in 2007 by hosting a weekly internet radio show, and in July of 2012, I started my own internet radio station. My station reached around the world in the first eight weeks of broadcast, and I achieved multiple recognitions by some of the major listing services, such as Windows Media Player and iTunes. I also received favorable reviews from some of the industry’s authorities. With that in my pocket, I began to branch out and DJ events. I have performed at fun runs and school dances, black tie galas and weddings, and a number of things in between. In 2016, among 75 nominees, I was placed second by the voters for Best Event DJ in our regional “What Rocks”, the best of the best in the Rock River Valley competition.

I am also active in community theatre, and enjoy performing from time to time. I have loved every role, but some of my favorites have been M’Lynn in “Steel Magnolias”, Olive Madison in the female version of “The Odd Couple”, Martha Brewster in “Arsenic and Old Lace”, and Mrs. Slocombe in “Are You Being Served”.

Finish this sentence: “There is no limit to…”

how many times I can post photos of my grandchildren on Facebook.”

What has been your biggest personal challenge?

I’m a bit of a klutz, so making it through my very own #nostitchesin2016 challenge was pretty rewarding.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

I look forward to seeing the sun come up tomorrow, spending time with my family, having fun no matter what I am doing, and the opportunity to make someone smile. For me, that’s “big” enough.

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

Get to Know Me: Abbye Garcia

Welcome to our first "Get to Know Me" feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know...