Get to Know Me: Chris Brady

Posted on Feb 27, 2017

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Chris Brady.

Title: Director of Starlight Theatre and Arts Park

Department: Theatre

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I manage the theatre venue while producing and directing the four shows for Starlight Theatre. There’s much more that goes into the job, but that’s the gist.

What inspires you?

Nature. Art. My Family. I feel an inordinate amount of inspiration when my family is doing anything involving those other two.

What do you like to do for fun?

I love spending time with my family. We’ve recently gotten into geocaching, which is uniquely exciting, but any time spent adventuring with my family is what I prefer to be doing. My wife is great at creating our huge adventures for the year, but even the little, exciting activities we make up are terrific.

I hammock. I love to sleep in my hammock, I’m not going to lie. Don’t judge, but lazing around is most certainly fun.

My current job. I absolutely love theatre, and though fun is much different than fulfilling, there is a healthy amount of the former, which makes the latter more sweet.

I also play video games…

What was your very first job?

I used to stock shelves at The Shopping Bag in Rockton. I distinctly remember cleaning behind the cardboard bailing machine. I don’t know why, but it was fairly disgusting back there.

Who are your role models?

It varies, I guess. I’ve never had that one or few people I’ve looked up to my whole life. Sometimes it’s my wife. Sometimes my brother or my dad. Sometimes it’s Gary Oldman. It was never Skeletor, though.

If you are a part of any local or national clubs or boards, please share those details.

My kids are junior rangers…I think that sums it up.

Where is your favorite place to go at RVC?

Starlight Theatre, obviously. No place specific really, but I’ve always loved the solitude of an empty theatre and the excitement of a packed one! Especially the out-door ambiance of this one.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

“A hard fought failure is a noble thing, here’s to the men who lose!” -George L. Scarborough

What is the best advice you have ever received?

There is no right and wrong. Only, the truth.

An acting teacher taught me that at one point. It has kind of become my anthem a bit. It also seems a rather valuable piece of information within the current political climate as well.

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Game of Thrones: Book 1 (very academic, I know)

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Manchester by the Sea

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

Slings and Arrows

Who is your favorite musician, group or band?

Five Iron Frenzy

What is your favorite thing to eat?

Though I am also a huge fan of donuts (shoutout to Brittany), my favorite food is probably more along the lines of gyros, tacos, and chips and salsa.

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Camp. Nature-y things. Or see some great theatre.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I’m not really sure. I don’t drink. So there’s that. Oh and I used to sing at Disney World.

Finish this sentence: “There is no limit to…”

the creativity of the human mind when left alone to its own devices.

What has been your biggest personal challenge?

Being a good husband and father. You need to challenge yourself daily to be good at that, I feel. My wife is usually better than me at doing it (mother/wife not father/husband, though), but I try as well. My family being awesome, the work is easier, but the challenge is ever present while life intervenes!

Also, creating a theatre company with friends has been a fantastic and passionate challenge. Our company, (usual) Suspects, has been a labor of love and an adventure that we share, but has challenged us all in ways that we didn’t necessarily anticipate, and cannot ever fully expect. The rewards, however, are extraordinarily fulfilling.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

Starlight 2017

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

The Filmmaker Within

This weekend is the start of the 12th annual Beloit International Film Festival (BIFF) in Beloit, WI. Rock Valley College...