Get to Know Me: Katie Peterson

Posted on Apr 3, 2017

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Katie Peterson.

Title: Administrative Assistant III

Department: RVC Foundation

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I am the AA for the RVC Foundation. I process donations and “thank you” letters. My favorite duty is the administration of the RVCF grant awards. Not only are people very appreciative of the funds received, it gives me a chance to interact with a different group of faculty and staff each year.

What inspires you?

The incredible diversity of our world–nature, culture, ideas, people.

What do you like to do for fun?

I love to be outdoors during any season except for winter. My passion is gardening, but I enjoy reading mystery novels, bicycling along country roads, quilting, socializing, and gatherings with family.

What was your very first job?

My first income came from babysitting for 50 cents an hour, but my first big paying job was as a field worker on a truck farm weeding endless rows of carrots, onions, and fields of mint.

Who are your role models?

My mother was my first. She was a divorced woman with three children to raise. She worked a full-time, second shift job while earning her teaching degree. Once she had a teaching position, she often worked a second job to provide for us.

If you are a part of any local or national clubs or boards, please share those details.

I am a member of the Sinnissippi Quilters.

Where is your favorite place to go at RVC?

As a nature lover, the view from the bridge is one I never tire of.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” -Henry Ford

I believe we create our own reality and thus it behooves us to keep a positive outlook.

What is the best advice you have ever received?

There is no guarantee that life will be fair. This allows me to accept setbacks and keep on going.

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult was very thought provoking.

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Arrival and Hidden Figures

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

When I discovered Damages , I couldn’t stop hitting next no matter how late the hour.

Who is your favorite musician, group or band?

I don’t have a single favorite. I listen to classical music and also have numerous current artists I like to listen to from Pentatonix, to Amy Winehouse, to 2cellos on in2ition, to Jars of Clay.

What is your favorite thing to eat?

It is a tie between chocolate and popcorn.

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Fly to visit my grandchildren (and of course their parents) in Las Vegas or my sister in Raleigh, NC. If staying home, I like to get all the grunt work done the first day and then indulge in my favorite past times, preferably a bicycle ride with my husband, Ken.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I like to be physically active and seek adventure. I have been on a hot air balloon ride, para-sailing, wake boarding, jet skiing, skinny dipping, and on weeklong bicycling vacations. Still on the list—repelling, scuba diving, walking the Appalachian Trail, biking across the US . . .

Finish this sentence: “There is no limit to…”

what one can accomplish but it starts with taking the first step.

What has been your biggest personal challenge?

Living with clinical depression. I share this not to garner sympathy but to encourage anyone feeling hopeless to seek medical help. If after medical help has been sought and the medication is not working, go back and ask for something different. It can sometime takes a few tries to find the right antidepressant or a higher dose may be needed.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

Retirement, having the leisure to spend more time with family and finally being able to take advantage of those low price airline tickets only available to those who can travel during the week.

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

The Impact of Stereotype Threat, Implicit Bias, and Microaggressions on Student Outcomes

Our ATLE blog series, “Reducing Stress in the Learning Environment” continues today with a post from Jessica Oladapo and Microaggressions...