Get to Know Me: Lamis Diab

Posted on Jun 12, 2017

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Lamis Diab.

Title: Getting Started Coach

Department: Getting Started Center

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

As the GSC Coach, in addition to fielding questions from new and prospective students, I oversee the new peer mentoring program that was launched this past spring.

What do you like to do for fun?

I love word games and trivia, taking long walks, and cooking.

What was your very first job?

My very first job was as a student worker for the English Language Studies Academy at Rockford College, now Rockford University. I loved working in an office surrounded by students from all over the world!

Who are your role models?

My role models are my grandfather and my mother, both educators. My grandfather served as the principal of several village schools, simultaneously. Meanwhile, my mother faced many obstacles in the pursuit of her education. She was ahead of her time and place in her attainment of a teaching degree.

If you are a part of any local or national clubs or boards, please share those details.

Unity in Diversity Rockford- a newly formed social justice and advocacy group in the region.

Where is your favorite place to go at RVC?

So many places! I love the view from the bridge between the Student Center and ERC and also the pond near Starlight.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

If opportunity doesn’t knock, build a door. – Milton Berle

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Lean In: Women, Work and the Will to Lead

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Moana

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

The Voice

Who is your favorite musician, group or band?

U2

What is your favorite thing to eat?

Thai Eggrolls from Thai Hut

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

If I have a long weekend it’s usually spent visiting family in the South suburbs or quick trips out to Galena or Lake Geneva.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I’ve been skydiving. It was freezing, but awesome!

What has been your biggest personal challenge?

To date, working full-time and going to school while still being accessible to my family.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

I just graduated with my MBA, this month, and I feel like the future is full of endless possibilities.

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

“Farm Girl” Turns Entrepreneur

What were you doing when you were a freshman in high school? Jessica Helwig was drawing up plans to start...