Get to Know Me: Melissa Gear

Posted on Jun 5, 2017

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Melissa Gear.

Title: Programmer/Analyst

Department: IT

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

My primary goals are to help create and maintain the public and intranet websites and applications as used by our staff and the community.

What inspires you?

My husband and children.

What do you like to do for fun?

I love spending time with my family, even if that means just a walk around the block. I also enjoy creating my own quilt patterns and watching them ‘come to life’ as the pieces zip through the sewing machine.

What was your very first job?

My first job was as a laundry mat attendant in a neighboring small town to where I grew up. It paid for gas in my car and allowed me to complete my homework while on the clock. Not a bad deal to a 16 year old.

Who are your role models?

My grandmother. Her practical wisdom, carefree and fun loving spirit is something I hope to one day achieve.

Where is your favorite place to go at RVC?

Everywhere! The grounds and walk paths are so lovely all year round that it’s too difficult to choose one location.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

“The universe is a pretty big place. If it’s just us, seems like an awful waste of space.” ~ Carl Sagan (Contact: A Novel. New York: Simon and Schuster, 1985)

“Any day you do not learn something new is a day wasted.” ~ Shirley C. (My grandmother)

“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” ~Eleanor Roosevelt

What is the best advice you have ever received?

Do not conform to the box because someone has told you that is your place. There is more to you than what society says you are or what you should do with your life. The sky is the not the limit, your dreams are. Dream big, work hard and people will notice you for what you have accomplished.

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Armada ~ Earnest Cline

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

Star Trek: The Next Generation. I have seen them all from TOS – Voyager, but TNG is my favorite. When I finished the complete series, I started it over again.

Who is your favorite musician, group or band?

Not a specific band, but a specific Musical Era – Big Band Era (1929-1945)

What is your favorite thing to eat?

In-season watermelon, preferably without too many seeds.

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Anywhere. Just getting in the car and seeing where you end up makes for a fantastic adventure.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I was not born in the United States. My father was in the military, and my mom and sister traveled with him. I was born in Augsburg, Bavaria, Germany, where my family was stationed.

Finish this sentence: “There is no limit to…”

knowledge, only your drive to continue learning.

What has been your biggest personal challenge?

Coming back to earn my degree after starting my family. However, my struggles provided me with an accomplishment that gives me great pride. It also provided a valuable lesson to my kids that anything is possible if you have enough drive.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

My daughter just graduated from high school. So I am looking forward to seeing the adult she is to become and watching as she figures out what her future will be.

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

Hard Work Leads RVC Alumna to Mayor’s Office

We recently had the pleasure of catching up with another RVC alumna who is making a name for herself in...