Get to Know Me: Lisa Alexander

Posted on Aug 28, 2017

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Lisa Alexander.

Title: Adjunct English Instructor

Department: Communications

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I have been an adjunct instructor of composition since the fall of 2001. I have the pleasure of being able to say that I love my job. I have met countless fantastic students, faculty and staff over the past 16 years. Each semester brings new people, new ideas, and new challenges.

What motivates or inspires you?

The students, who overcome huge obstacles and manage their time in order to improve their education, their minds, and find a better job. Also, they are just fun, nice, inquisitive people who I love to connect with in the classroom.

What scares you?

Honestly, cell phones scare me a little bit. Granted, they make our lives easier, but they also steal precious time away from each other and our families. I cringe when I see young parents spending time on their phones, when their kids are craving their attention. I have recently deleted all of my social media except Snapchat.

What do you like to do for fun?

Biking, hiking, reading (a lot; I’ve read 43 books so far this year) and talking with friends. I also love playing the Game of Things!

What was your very first job?

I worked at a clothing store at CherryVale Mall. We were supposed to push the clothes on people, bringing them extra items to the dressing rooms. I was horrible at it!

Who are your role models?

My dad, Dr. Lee Stopoulos, my sister, Susan Frampton, my mom, many of my friends, Author Elizabeth Gilbert, and many others.

If you are a part of any local or national clubs or boards, please share those details.

I am a volunteer for Northern Illinois Hospice. I have the honor of spending time with terminally ill patients. It is very gratifying.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

Being humble does not mean thinking less of yourself. It means thinking of yourself less.

What is the best advice you have ever received?

Buy clothes in neutral colors! Also, every day, do something that scares you.

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Oh wow. Too many to count, but I recently read “Alone on the Wall” by Alex Honnold. He’s a 30 year old rock climber who uses no protection.

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Beauty and the Beast

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

I loved Girls on HBO. Currently, I’m trying to avoid watching too much T.V.

What was the first concert you ever attended and what is the most recent concert you have attended?

First concert was Cheap Trick! (I’m a Rockford native) Last fall I saw Band of Horses twice. Fantastic!

Who is your celebrity crush?

Well, Benedict Cumberbatch sure made a dapper Sherlock Holmes!

Where is your favorite place to eat?

The Prairie Street Brewhouse

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

My hiking buddy and I hike around Pierce Lake. I enjoy spending time with my two sons, and hanging out with my friends. I also love to go to Chicago and Milwaukee.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who write “anyways” or don’t use their turn signals.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I love to box. I also tricked out my bike with LED lights, and take a “slow roll” at night in my neighborhood. Everyone says they like my bike, but it’s just an old Trek with $15 lights!

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

I have a list of goals. One of them is to climb Kilimanjaro before I’m 60, and another one is to hike 30 days on the Pacific Crest Trail. I’m working on saving up for them!

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

Erica Bibalou
Promise of a New Day

Erica Bibalou lights up when she talks about the journey that led her from the African country of Gabon to...