Get to Know Me: Mike Kravitz

Posted on Sep 11, 2017

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Mike Kravitz.

Title: Interim Manager of Recruitment

Department: Recruitment

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I have been honored to be asked to fill in as the Interim Manager of Recruitment, after a promotion left the spot vacant. I am committed to work through the kinks and continue to improve recruitment efforts and maintain the exceptional reputation RVC has within the community.

Prior to this opportunity, I worked as the Personal and Success Counselor, where I helped students break down barriers to their success in the classroom. This included crisis management, grief, depression, study skills, academic success planning, and more.

What motivates or inspires you?

Underdogs. When I see adversity, I see opportunity! There are few better feelings than overcoming long odds to find success. This is part of why I support the White Sox and Bears.

What scares you?

Small spaces. I’m getting anxious thinking about it…

What do you like to do for fun?

Having worked in the restaurant industry for 15 years prior to education, I developed a passion for cooking. I get creative on the weekends and have a high rate of success…but when it is not successful, there is always pizza! My favorite lately is to smoke meats on my smoker (real fire kind, not that electric cheating one). Low and slow. Real BBQ! This is an ideal weekend day. I also like to brew my own beer, however, I have not been able to for some time now.

What was your very first job?

I delivered newspapers beginning in the fifth grade. I worked on roofs and labor growing up for a family business and I began my own DJ business as a freshman in high school as well. All before I could drive. I’ve been working ever since.

Who are your role models?

My father has shown me strength and integrity to get through life’s little challenges. He is and will always be my number one. Then, Mr. Rodgers was the first person to teach me that I have a choice on how to look at a situation and find the positive in it. May he RIP!

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

“You can’t calm the storm…so stop trying. What you can do is calm yourself. The storm will pass.”- Timber Hawkeye

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Pillars of the Earth

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

Game of Thrones

What was the first concert you ever attended and what is the most recent concert you have attended?

Bon Jovi was first. I volunteer for a bluegrass fest every summer and just saw Billy Strings, an outstanding young musician.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Winona Ryder

Where is your favorite place to eat?

A good hibachi restaurant

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Pack the bags and travel. Mostly to visit family in Chicago’s south west suburbs.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

Lying and manipulating. Integrity over everything.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I had survived a brain aneurysm about six years ago that caused a stroke. I had to learn to walk, talk, write, etc.to get to where I am today. I do not tell people because I do not want pity, but rather, I would like to inspire. That is why you will see me walking on lunch all of the time. I walk because I can! I won’t take that for granted again.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

This new position has me focused on the job pretty much all of the time.

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

Get to Know Me: Christine Lott

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Christine...