Get To Know Me: Kristy Pierce

Posted on May 29, 2018

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Kristy Pierce.

Title: Head Volleyball Coach/Sports Coordinator

Department: Athletics

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I am the Head Volleyball Coach, Sports Coordinator, and Liaison to the College for the newly formed Bowling team. Not sure what else but things keep popping up!

What motivates or inspires you?

I love challenges. If I don’t have one I create one. Little to big it doesn’t matter. I am never completely satisfied unless I have a challenge to attempt.

What scares you?

Being late. Not achieving.

What do you like to do for fun?

I love to walk my dog Harper Olivia. Together we kayak, bike and hike. I love anything outdoors. I enjoy going to all types of sporting events. If a time or a winner is determined I want to go.

What was your very first job?

My first real job was mowing the two cemeteries in the town I grew up in. I later worked in a small factory, a state park and a small factory that employed handicapped employees. When I graduated college I became a teacher/coach and stayed at that job for 34 years.

Who are your role models?

My role models growing up were my parents and grandparents. Now I look up to anyone who works hard to get what they want.

If you are a part of any local or national clubs or boards, please share those details.

I am a member of the AVCA. (American Volleyball Coaches Association) and USAVB(USA Volleyball Association).

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

“Success is like anything worthwhile. It has a price. You have to pay the price to get to the point where success is possible”-Vince Lombardi

What is the best advice you have ever received?

“Wear clean underwear, you never know when you may get into an accident.” – Mom
“You can do anything you set your mind to do.” G-Ruth

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Here If You Need Me

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Hidden Figures

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

Scandal or Newsroom

What was the first concert you ever attended and what is the most recent concert you have attended?

Chicago (yes I am old) Nickleback (still old)

Who is your celebrity crush?

Walter Cronkite (from childhood) Creepy and weird – yes!

Where is your favorite place to eat?
Panera

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Wait….What is a long weekend?

What is your biggest pet peeve?

People who are late. People who are lazy. People who complain. People who gossip.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I was part of a feature story in Time magazine. Misty May Treanor came to my 50th birthday party. I sat with Bill Murray at an Illini game. Jimmy Butler took our whole team to dinner, rented a bus to take us there and spend the whole evening with us at dinner. (he also paid 🙂)

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

Volleyball Season!!!!

Kristy and her grandson, Rohan.

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

Graduate Spotlight: Lesly Chittavong

In her audition speech for the student commencement speaker selection panel, Lesly Chittavong channeled her inner Fresh Prince by saying,...