Get to Know Me: Ashli Barney

Posted on Jul 16, 2018

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Ashli Barney.

Title: Project Advisor

Department: TRIO Student Support Services

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I wear many hats as a TRIO Project Advisor for our students. I’m an academic advisor, counselor, life coach, among other things; I assist TRIO students in career and college exploration, transferring, financial literacy, study skills. Though that doesn’t cover everything, I enjoy helping students!

What motivates or inspires you?

People helping others.

What scares you?

Heights – but, more specifically, the fear of falling; I can’t stand being high up and not feeling secure. Also spiders. I really, really do not like spiders.

What do you like to do for fun?

I enjoy going for walks with my dog, bike rides, writing, getting crafty, playing video & board games, and watching movies.

What was your very first job?

My first job was helping in the PartyLand Inc. costume shop around Halloween! Remember that store that used to be on Charles Street?

Who are your role models?

Three come to mind right off the top of my head. My granny and my grandma are definitely two of them; they’re some of the most kindhearted, caring, and amusing ladies I’ve ever known. My younger brother is also one; he’s unlike me in that he’s very spontaneous, and
I admire that about him.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

“Trouble produces patience; patience produces character; character produces hope.”

“In light of my past experiences, current circumstances, and future hopes and dreams, what is the WISE thing for me to do?”

What is the best advice you have ever received?

Remember to breathe, and learn to be present. Life has a way of passing us by before we even realize it; it is important to learn how
to enjoy each moment to its fullest, instead of worrying about what comes next or who’s posting what on social media.

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Man’s Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Avengers: Infinity War

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

CSI: Miami all the way!

What was the first concert you ever attended and what is the most recent concert you have attended?

First was ZZ Top (just before I was born if that counts, lol!) and most recent was a Mandisa & Danny Gokey concert.

Where is your favorite place to eat?

Shogun. Yum!

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Galena is always a favorite destination for a trip, so is Minocqua, WI. I like to explore places, try restaurants in the area, enjoy nature. If I stay in town though, I like to visit parks with my dog for walks, watch some Netflix, or work on a project.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

When people make it a habit of not cleaning up after themselves. I try to leave things better than how I found them, so it bothers me when others don’t do the same thing.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I have THREE middle names. Yep. Filling out forms can be really fun, but at least I know it’s definitely me!

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

I’m getting married in October! Its been a long time coming – almost 11 years actually – but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

Get to Know Me: Joe Simpson

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Joe...