Get to Know Me: Karen Kerr

Posted on Oct 29, 2018

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Karen Kerr.

Title: Purchasing Assistant

Department: Business Services

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I create POs, arrange travel, and handle all things related to P-Cards. You’ll likely see me conducting training sessions on the RVC purchasing process.

What motivates or inspires you?

Promoting the academic side of higher learning. My daughter. Def Leppard. Coffee.

What scares you?

Psychological thrillers. The sense that my car’s brakes are failing. Creepers (see next question).

What do you like to do for fun?

Write fantasy novels. Sew doll clothes. Play Minecraft (those Creepers). Play dress-up with my daughter. Shop in toy departments. Hang out with fellow writers.

What was your very first job?

2 hours a week at a little local bakery with my older sister. Just 2 young teens running the shop by themselves on a Thursday afternoon. Good Times.

Who are your role models?

My Mom. She was a high school Math teacher and a strong willed person. When in doubt, what would Mom do?

If you are a part of any local or national clubs or boards, please share those details.

I am a Co-Municipal Liaison for National Novel Writing Month. Yeah, that’s a thing and it’s amazing. I’ve been doing NaNo since 2011. If anyone wants to talk about it, I’m always glad to do so. I’m pretty excited that the RVC Library is a partner with our local region this year as a supporter and as a great location to write your novel.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

Writers write.

Just keep swimming.

Put the burrito away. (Sister lingo for stop procrastinating.)

What is the best advice you have ever received?

“Sometimes you just have to buy yourself a new lipstick.” – Mom.

Because sometimes you need to stop and do something for yourself, no matter how small.

“Make your own happiness.” – my mother-in-law.

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

“A Stranger’s Child” by Mary Lamphere, who is a local author from Dekalb. I loved her “Kinder Garden.”

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Kubo and the Two Strings. It was more than good. It was awesome.

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

Nailed It on Netflix, but it only has a few short seasons. My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic. I also like to grab a few episodes of Outlander.

What was the first concert you ever attended and what is the most recent concert you have attended?

Richard Marx was my first and I got to meet him. His eyes were a weird light brown, almost yellow. It was strange. Def Leppard was probably the most recent, which wasn’t recent at all.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Can’t really say I have one.

Where is your favorite place to eat?

Spider Sushi for dinner. Meg’s on Perryville for writing.

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Home body. I like to sleep late, make a fancy waffle breakfast for my family, and run away to a coffee shop to write. That last part doesn’t happen too often. For long weekends, whatever I do I like to look back and feel like I accomplished something.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

Last minute changes of plan. I need transition time, and then I’m good.

Disrespect is at the top of the list, too.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I’m from Massachusetts.

They also might be surprised that I’m working on book 5 in my fantasy series. Not published yet, but I plan to when I’m ready.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

Finishing book 5, running through a full edit of all 5 books, and starting the how-to-get-published roller coaster ride of fun…and National Novel Writing Month starting up November 1st.

Get to Know Me: Jeremy Tallacksen

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Jeremy...