Get to Know Me: MaryAnne Ax

Posted on Nov 11, 2018

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know MaryAnne Ax.

Title: RAISE Program Coordinator

Department: Disability Support Services

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

RAISE is a wonderful program for 18- 28 year old intellectually disabled students. It is a 2-year program with courses that cover all aspects of adult independent living from health, well-being and safety, to work readiness skills. This great group of students also gets to enjoy all that Rock Valley College has to offer alongside their non-disabled peers.

What motivates or inspires you?

Ultimately, the kids! I love interacting with all of them around the campus. I also am inspired by the RVC employees I am meeting! It’s such a welcoming place!

What scares you?

Everyone will tell you that I’m easily startled. It’s quite embarrassing, actually.

What do you like to do for fun?

I am happiest outdoors in all seasons, especially on my bike.

What was your very first job?

Salesgirl at Goldblatt’s Department Store. Now, that dates me!

Who are your role models?

Women with grace, compassion and strength. I am blessed to know more than a few.

If you are a part of any local or national clubs or boards, please share those details.

I’ve been involved with local animal rescue groups and am currently hoping to join a local writer’s group.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

There are so many! I’m particular to Montaigne, Dorothy Parker (for fun) and H.L. Mencken.

What is the best advice you have ever received?

Let it go.

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

Again! So many! Anything by Eric Larson or Malcolm Gladwell, Tom Wolfe, Annie Lamont, David Sedaris, Stephen King.

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

First Man. Amazing!!!!

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

Fixer Upper on HGTV.

What was the first concert you ever attended and what is the most recent concert you have attended?

First; Deep Purple at Dane County Coliseum. Most recent; Here Come the Mummies, downtown Rockford.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Bill Murray.

Where is your favorite place to eat?

Bandera on Michigan Avenue.

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Lake Geneva, Chicago, Madison, Minneapolis. Beaches, boating, cycling, dining, museums, shopping.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

Left lane cruisers.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I worked at WROK/WZOK in the 80’s. It was a very cool time to be involved in local radio.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

A trip to NYC with our daughter in December. We have tickets to see Brian Cranston in Network on Broadway.

Get to Know Me: Sam Morgan

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Sam...