Get to Know Me: Christopher Wasson

Posted on Dec 2, 2018

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Christopher Wasson.

Title:
Administrative Assistant III

Department: Academic Affairs

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I assist and perform administrative and office support activities for the Vice President of Academic Affairs. I work with the staff, faculty, and of course the students here at Rock Valley College.

What motivates or inspires you?

Music and the pursuit of happiness. Helps me get through the hard days and makes the easy days that much better.

What do you like to do for fun?

Watch TV or movies, spend time with family and friends, play video games, hiking, cooking.

What was your very first job?

Grocery Bagger at Woodman’s Grocery.

Who are your role models?

My grandfather. He has been a positive role model to me and established the moral compass and ideals in me to this day.

What is your favorite quote or words to live by?

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us. –Helen Keller

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.” – Winston Churchill

What’s the last good book you’ve read?

A Dog’s Purpose. Great book for the animal lover, especially those who have or owned a dog at one point in their lifetime.

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

Bohemian Rhapsody. I love Queen’s music and the movie was fantastic.

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

Chuck, Doctor Who, and Stranger Things. I can re-watch these over and over and still enjoy them.

What was the first concert you ever attended and what is the most recent concert you have attended?

My first concert was Kansas at the Coronado in Rockford last summer. The most recent one was a Pink Floyd tribute band called Echoes of Pompeii that occurred last September. Kansas was amazing and Echoes of Pompeii were really good.

Who is your celebrity crush?

Elizabeth Olsen

Where is your favorite place to eat?

Hoffman House, Red Robin, and Shogun. These are my go-tos for any family or friend night out.

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

Relax, watch some TV or a movie, and spend some quality time with friends and family.

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I am a huge fan of 80’s culture. Movies, music, and even the cultural aspect of it is very interesting to me.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

Christmas. I love spending time with my family especially around Christmas time.

Connecting CTE Students with STEM Internships

In an effort to address the important need for work-based learning, Rock Valley College’s internship coordinator, Brianna Elias, is working...