The Art of Engagement

Posted on Jan 11, 2019

RVC student, William Hughes, reflects on his time here at Rock Valley College before crossing the stage in May.

My name is William Hughes and I’m a student at Rock Valley College. I’ve been a Peer Mentor at RVC for a little under a year. I plan to graduate in May of 2019 with my Associate of Arts Degree. I hope to transfer to Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville and study Sport Psychology and Kinesiology.

I decided to become involved on campus because I felt like college should have more to offer than just going to class. I wanted to get all of the possible benefits and really have the college experience I’ve heard so much about.

I became involved in the Black Student Union (BSU), The Multi-Cultural Club, The Peer Mentor Club and the Philosophy Club, as well as working as a Peer Mentor with the Getting Started Center. Unexpectedly, I improved my communication, leadership, organization, planning, and networking skills, as well as my grades.  I have also made new friends and formed relationships with staff and faculty on campus.   

Through being active, I’ve been able to do many things on campus. I’m now the Vice President of the Black Student Union and am running for Vice President of Philosophy Club.  Being engaged in these clubs has helped me to be aware of events that are going on.  I hosted an Open Mic event that BSU hosted called “The Drop.”  I’ve also helped organize events for high school students visiting Rock Valley College, have been to multiple conferences, and networked with people working in intended my career area. We’ve also had a bowling tournament, multiple potlucks and other events on and off campus.

I believe students should get involved because without involvement, you’re missing out on opportunities that could help you feel connected to your school and reach your goals.

-Will

Get to Know Me: Caitlyn Steiner

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Caitlyn...