Get to Know Me: Amanda Berkman

Posted on Apr 3, 2019

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Amanda Berkman.

Title: Payroll Clerk

Department: Finance

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I process the payroll, enter employee leaves, direct deposits, W-4s, and a lot of other fun stuff! Those time cards all come from me, and they get sent right back to me at the end of the pay cycle!

What motivates or inspires you?

I’m a military widow raising three strong, independent, capable young girls on my own. My girls motivate and inspire me every single day! Disney vacations also motivate me! 😀

What scares you?

Crazy drivers; and bats!

What do you like to do for fun?

My three girls all do theater! I love to volunteer with their theater group, helping with costumes. We also like to travel. Disney World is our most frequently visited destination.

What was your very first job?

I was a paper girl back in the day!

Who are your role models?

As cheesy as this may sound, my oldest daughter is an amazing role model for anyone who knows her. She volunteers her time with organizations like Make-a-Wish Foundation, Bravehearts, and a few others. She is a teacher aid for two middle school choirs at Rockford Christian. She is a grade ahead for her age. She visits schools in urban areas dressed as Belle to bring joy to little kids. She leads worship at church and school chapels. She is an all-state choir musician. She has been in 27 theater productions. She helps so much at home. She works extremely hard at everything she does without being told to. She stepped up at the age of 7 when her dad died and took on an adult role. Also, she was recently diagnosed with some pretty life-altering health issues. I have great admiration for the amazing young woman she is, her phenomenal character, the way she gives of her time, and the way she has handled so many obstacles in life.

Favorite quote or song lyric?

“Keep moving forward.”- Meet the Robinsons

“You’re braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”—Winnie-the-Pooh.

These quotes are my widow-mantras.

“Though her words are simple and few, listen, listen, she’s calling to you” – Feed the Birds, Mary Poppins.

This song is so profound, and it was Walt Disney’s favorite. It was performed at his funeral. I love to listen to my oldest sit at the piano and perform this song.

What is the best advice you have ever received?

Probably after my husband died 7 years ago, and I was left a widow at the ripe old age of 30-a wise friend reminded me that it’s okay to smile and to keep on living, for that’s the best way to honor his memory.What’s the last good book you’ve read?

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

A Dog’s Way Home. I’m a sucker for a good dog movie!

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

Currently, we are taking it back to the 90’s with some 7th Heaven binging; otherwise, Downton Abbey, Poldark, Gilmore Girls, Heartland, and The Tudors.

Most recent concert you have attended?

My daughter’s All-State choir performance down in Peoria 🙂

If you could be best friends with a celebrity, who would it be?

Ellen, because she is a phenomenal human being with a huge heart; and Hugh Jackman, because he is Hugh Jackman! 😉

Where is your favorite place to eat?

Earl of Sandwich in Disney Springs.

Do you have any pets?

Yes! A border collie named Marne, a mini schnauzer named Molly, and two cats, Miggy and Moses! Also, all three of my daughters’ names start with “M.”

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

We like to go up to Marquette, MI and go boating on Lake Superior; or to Lake Geneva or the Dells; and occasionally, we go to Chicago to see a show. I’m also a fan of staying home and sewing a quilt while binge watching something on Netflix

What is your biggest pet peeve?

Those who can’t find ANYTHING positive to talk about.

What is the food you can’t live without?

Dole Whips! My fellow Disney people understand why!

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I was the first girl to play high school football in the entire Northern Illinois region, back in 1996.

If you could be any character on a TV show, who would it be?

Loralei Gilmore, or the Dowager Countess on Downton Abbey

What’s your favorite thing about working at RVC?

I love the professional environment, the people I work with, and the challenges of learning a new job.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

My oldest will be getting her permit in 11 days! I’m ready to have another driver in the house! My girls will be in the show, Godspell, in May with CYT! And next year, we are going to Costa Rica!

We Want You

If you would like to be featured in an upcoming “Get to Know Me” just fill out our online form!

Disclaimer: These “Get to Know Me” features will be shared on this blog and visible to the public. 

Get to Know Me: Judy Hamilton

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Judy...