Peer Mentor Spotlight: Avery

Posted on Apr 15, 2019

RVC student, Avery Adamany, reflects on her time here at Rock Valley College before crossing the stage in May.

My name is Avery Adamany and I am a student here at RVC. I’ve been at RVC for 2 years and have been a Peer Mentor for about a year now! I am graduating in the Spring of 2019 and transferring to the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign to study Integrative Biology. The adjustment to college can be hard, but I’ve learned a couple tricks that have helped me along the way.

One of the biggest misconceptions about college is that students will have far more free-time than they did in high school because we are in class less. But in reality, college students have less free time because there is more independent work that needs to be done outside of class. The best thing to do to help manage your time, is to create a weekly to-do list with all your homework assignments, due dates, and extracurricular activities planned. Being able to look at your week and know when things are due will prevent you from falling behind.

Another huge change from high school to college is studying! In high school, tests are frequent and split up so there isn’t much information covered in one test. This creates less demand for extensive studying which ultimately leads to less stress.

College classes typically have 2-4 large tests that contain an abundant amount of information that can easily become overwhelming. Studying for an hour the night before the exam is no longer an option. College courses require 2-3 hours of studying per credit hour, each week. So, if you are taking a 3-credit hour course, each week you should be studying 9 hours just for that one class. It may seem impossible but this is where the to-do list comes into play.

I have found that to do well on an exam, I have had to start studying AT LEAST one week before the exam date. Some classes require that you start studying more than one week in advance. This may seem insane, but when you have a class with a test worth 300 points it will become evident that even one week in advance is not enough preparation.

I would like to share the two most important tips for surviving college.

First, DO NOT skip class. With no one holding you accountable, it can be very easy to convince yourself that you don’t need to go to class…but this will only hurt you.

Second, the only way to learn something in class is to be engaged. During lecture, take extensive notes and ask questions when you don’t understand. Write everything that gets put on the board, a professor wouldn’t take the time to write it down if it wasn’t important!

Get to Know Me: Amanda Berkman

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Amanda...