Get to Know Me: Carl Trank

Posted on Jul 29, 2019

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Carl Trank.

Title: Adjunct Math Instructor and Math Lab Tutor

Department: Math

Tell us a little about your job at RVC.

I teach developmental math classes and I tutor for nearly every RVC math class in the math lab.

What motivates or inspires you?

I teach for those moments when students’ faces suddenly light up and they realize that math isn’t quite as hard as they thought it was.

What scares you?

The world’s lack of empathy.

What do you like to do for fun?

I like to hike, go on walks, and just simply sit outside watching the clouds, sun, and birds.

Who are your role models?

My grandpa. Even though he’s no longer here, I strive to be the empathetic, intelligent, frugal, loving, and fun guy he was.

Favorite quote or song lyric?
Something my friend wrote in college:

“Life is unique. The difficulty lies in reconciling uniqueness with uniqueness. No one person will ever see life identically with another. Yet each life touches another. Each person shares a common thread, something which connects it with every other person on the planet. It is these strings of commonality which allow us to see others as part of our own existence.”-L. DeMerrell

What’s the last good movie you have seen?

I rarely watch movies, though I did very much enjoy “Man from Earth.” (I found it several years ago when searching for “movies to make you think” on the internet)

What is your favorite TV show to binge watch?

What’s TV?

Most recent concert you have attended?

Mandolin Orange (a folk-rock-Americana duo)

Where is your favorite place to eat?

Sitting at home around a campfire, eating a grilled burger with friends sounds quite wonderful right now.

Do you have any pets?

My housemates have a hypo-allergenic Russian blue cat, and I absolutely love her, though I’m pretty sure she isn’t just “a cat” but is rather some petty demon in its afterlife 😉

Where do you like to go or what do you like to do when you have a long weekend?

What I would like to do: Go day-hiking somewhere in Wisconsin.

What I actually do: Sleep in and then take care of real-life responsibilities.

What is your biggest pet peeve?

When I have something fun planned to do with someone and they change plans at the last minute.

What is the food you can’t live without?

Oatmeal. I’ve already eaten more than my weight in oatmeal this year (65 of those large cartons since January 1, to be exact), and if I total the amount I’ve eaten in my life, it’s almost certainly over a ton. Maybe over two tons!

What might surprise people to learn about you?

I am very introverted. My overexcited, eccentric math teacher persona is very much an act I’ve found to be effective both at helping students learn and at helping myself manage being around lots of people.

What is your favorite board game?

Several good ones are Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan, and Imaginiff.

Do you play any sports?

I used to golf a little bit, and I do enjoy hiking even though I don’t do it as much as I wish.

What’s your favorite thing about working at RVC?

The students make my job awesome. There’s something unique and wonderful about the student culture at RVC in that almost all students I’ve encountered have been polite, professional, and respectful.

What’s the next big thing coming up in your life that you are looking forward to?

I’m going to Glacier National Park (northern Montana) in August with my mom and dad. The mountains are my happy place and I wish I could go there every summer.

Get to Know Me: Tyler Bredehoeft

Welcome to our “Get to Know Me” feature for RVC employees! Today we are going to get to know Tyler...