Peer Mentor Catch Up

Posted on May 12, 2020

Three of our Peer Mentors (Jasmine, Yasmin, and Louana) answered questions about how they are handling finishing the semester and degrees at RVC during the COVID-19 pandemicWe are so proud of them and excited for them to move on to their next school!

What is your biggest challenge right now?

Jasmine: One of the biggest challenges I’m facing right now is time management, trying to learn class material on my own, and staying motivated in a time when it’s the easiest to lose motivation.

Yasmin: With all that is ensuing at the moment, I would say my biggest challenge is keeping up with all of my work!

Louana: The biggest challenge I am currently facing is the fact that one day I was around all of my friends, professors, co-workers, and everyone I used to interact to in a daily basis to all of a sudden being transferred online, without face to face interaction until further notice. 

How do you stay organized while working from home?

Jasmine: One of the things I do to stay organized is using my planner.  Despite being at home, I find that when I am using my planner it’s easier for me to look at the layout of week and the goals I need to meet. I also set reminders on my phone in case I forget to do something, so whatever gets written down in my planner also gets put into my phone.

Yasmin: With staying organized, I find that making to-do lists, keeping a calendar/planner, as well as having a complete list of all of my upcoming homework is convenient.

Louana: I stay organized by keeping a daily calendar where all of my assignments, online lecture times and every upcoming due date is listed. It can be easy to lose track of time and even days when some of us may not have been outside and seen the sun for a while. 

How do you stay motivated?

Jasmine: It’s important to take time out of my day to remind myself of the importance of completing my degree. Setting up goals to treat yourself also works well too! I find that it’s also useful to stay in contact with people who are supportive and have the same positive energy. I think at a time like this self-reflection has never been more important.

Yasmin: I stay motivated at this time because I try to keep my focus in two aspects: 1) short-term-> how what I am doing now is beneficial to me and is a constant learning process, and 2) long-term-> remembering where I aspire to be in the future and what it takes for me to do right now to slowly make my way there.

Louana: Having motivation in our current situation definitely just got a lot harder than it already was. One thing that has really helped me is knowing that things will start to get better soon and that this semester will soon come to an end. 

If you have any questions for our Peer Mentors before they graduate, feel free to send them an email at rvc-gettingstarted@rockvalleycollege.edu.
We look forward to seeing you all again soon!

2020 Graduate Spotlight

2020 Graduate Spotlight Form RVC Grads, we want to do all we can under these challenging circumstances to celebrate your...